25.11.08

Delhi to Lahore

India-Pakistan and their relation over the years, in the past and in future. This is one thing very close to my heart. Don't know why, but talking about this (well actually it is not just one thing...it is a myriad of things) I can get very animated and emotional, and many times might just wander into the territories of seemingly unreasonable and illogical grassland. But mostly I manage to keep myself in control and sane enough! Anything and everything related to this is always a fodder for my senses.

One such occasion is vivid in my memory and will always remain. It is when the borders were opened for the first time after Partition for road travel through Wagah. The Day the Delhi-Lahore bus was started. This happened to be a very busy route of travel and trade (it is after all the Grand Truck, the GT Road) connecting two major cities of Punjab, Amritsar and Lahore, connecting trade, connecting families, connecting lifelines. After Partition the links were severed, literally, by erecting gates which were to be remained closed forever, guarded by security personnels of respective countries, 24*7. Those gates were opened on 20 Feb 1999. It was nothing short of a magic, at least for me. I watched it live on TV as the barriers were being broken symbolically. My eyes glistened with water. However as goes with the socio-economic-politics, that Bus was halted many times, service disrupted and started again, the journey keeps oscillating...

The event in itself might seem nothing to some, some may not even know it happened, but for some it struck a chord in their heart and it brought tears in their eyes, I was one of them. Anyways, I scribbled a few words on the occasion in my diary about all this, here they go...

Delhi to Lahore

The Bus has started
The Journey is long

Bumps are there
Numerous in hide
Potholes all over
Very dangerous to override

Barriers have to be crossed
Keep minds in control
The journey is long, very long
And huge patience needed

This is the start
And do never quit
You have arisen, awaken
And the beginning made

So go on and on and on
And do not stop
Till the goal is reached

The goal is hard
But you must not halt

For

All the man made fences
All the barbed wires
All the walls of hatred
In the minds
And those across Wagah
You have to break!

A long journey!